In major betting news India, reported that the government blocked 242 more illegal websites as part of its latest crackdown on unlawful online gambling. The action followed the rollout of the Promotion and Regulation of Online Gaming Act, also known as PROGA. Officials said the move brought the total number of illegal sites shut down to more than 7,800.
This betting news India update came months after PROGA took effect on October 1, 2025. The law banned all real-money betting and gambling activities across the country. However, it did not ban all digital games. Esports and social games without money wagering remained legal under strict guidelines.
The government sources report that enforcement actions increased after the law became effective. The authorities conducted increased monitoring activities for gaming platforms, payment systems, social media promotions, and digital advertisements. The blocked websites contained illegal content because they provided real-money wagering services, which violated the newly established regulations.
Officials described the move as a key development in the latest betting news across the country. They said the focus remained on platform operators and financial backers rather than individual users. Players who had taken part in money-based games were not targeted for punishment.
This betting news India report followed earlier enforcement waves that had already removed thousands of illegal websites. The government said the aim was to break the business networks supporting unlawful betting platforms. The PROGA law established penalties that included fines and legal actions against operators and promoters.
The law received presidential approval in August 2025 after it passed through both houses of Parliament. The regulators developed a national system to control digital gaming activities since that time. PROGA replaced earlier state-level rules with one unified framework across India.
As part of the new structure, the government created a National Online Gaming Commission. The body was tasked with licensing approved platforms and ensuring compliance. It also handled complaints from users of legal gaming services.
Authorities admitted that shutting down illegal platforms remained challenging. Many operators used tactics such as switching web addresses to avoid detection. After one site was blocked, another would appear under a new domain name. This made enforcement more complex.
This online betting news story also highlighted offshore operators. Some platforms were based outside India and used bank accounts to move funds. These accounts helped transfer money while hiding its origin. That scale showed how large the underground market had become. In recent betting news India coverage, analysts said strong enforcement would be necessary to reduce this volume.
Government officials stated that social harm concerns motivated the government to implement the crackdown. They identified addiction problems, financial losses, and the danger of minors accessing gambling content as their main concerns. This online news development reflected growing pressure to protect users, especially young people.
The blocking of 242 additional illegal websites was presented as proof that PROGA was being enforced actively. Officials added that more reviews of digital ads and influencer marketing were underway. Authorities monitored online betting news trends to identify new threats.
Another point raised in betting news India discussions was the difference between legal gaming and banned wagering. PROGA allowed esports and skill-based social games that did not involve money betting. Regulators developed this balance which allowed businesses to create new products while eliminating dangerous business methods. This news update showed that enforcement efforts were ongoing.
The government declared that its crackdown operations focused on people who operate illegal platforms, not on ordinary users. The authorities intended to break up the criminal organizations that operated illegal betting operations.
Recent online betting news reports suggested more action could follow if new violations were found. Regulators confirmed they would keep reviewing digital platforms and financial flows.
This latest betting news India update marked another step in the country’s push to control unlawful online wagering. With over 7,800 illegal websites already blocked, officials said enforcement under PROGA remained a priority.
Betting news India coverage showed that the national gaming law had moved from policy to action. As online betting news continued to develop, authorities signaled they would maintain strict oversight to protect users and limit illegal platforms across the country.